General Summary: An exempt position responsible for performing all related activities which support the organization's Picture Archiving and Communications Systems (PACS), voice recognition software, and modality connectivity; diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all PACS and voice recognition associated hardware and software, while ensuring its optimal performance.
· Manage the distribution and storage of digital images from a variety of sources, including computed tomography, computed radiography, magnetic resonance imaging, nuclear medicine, ultrasound, etc.
· Provide application-level PACS support, including image workflow, auto routing, and other activities.
· Integrate diagnostic images with Hospital Information Systems (HIS) and Radiological Information Systems (RIS).
· Ensure that digital image data transfers are properly entered into the PACS system, RIS validation, and exceptions handling.
· Collaborate closely with other IT department personnel to ensure the smooth operation of all PACS hardware and software.
· Provide user training in regards to the proper use and operation of PACS and voice recognition equipment and software applications, including radiologists, technologists and other IT staff.
· Liaise with PACS vendor support resources to monitor performance as it relates to overall network performance in order to minimize slowdowns and downtime.
· Prepare reports on PACS performance and make recommendations based on findings.
· Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot PACS and associated devices and software. Perform backups as required.
· Respond to tech support calls and support end user problems and questions. Communicate with end users to determine PACS needs, business requirements, and functional specifications.
· Define new methods and procedures to enhance the quality of information technology systems.
· Document activities to keep the organization in compliance with all state and federal regulations.
· Use Help Desk software to document, track, resolve, and follow up on problems.
· Collaborate with other IT departments and client hospitals to ensure the efficient distribution of medical images to authorized users.
· Assist in development of operating standards, policies, and procedures. Assist with the development, implementation, and enforcement of all information technology policies and procedures.
· Assist in the strategic planning of medical imaging initiatives, including new deployments, future needs, and systems integration.
· Document changes, as needed, to keep IT inventory database up to date.
· Evaluate and recommend software applications that could improve job performance.
· Maintain standards of confidentiality and system security.
· Participate in training and professional development activities as assigned.
· Participate in special projects or other activities as assigned.
· Certifications in PACS (CPSA, CPIA, CPSM, MCITP) preferred.
· Hands-on hardware and software troubleshooting experience with radiology applications.
· Previous exposure working in a large PACS environment.
· PACS equipment support. Experience with Dell workstations a plus.
· Excellent technical knowledge of image capture and archiving technologies.
· Good knowledge of current network protocols, data transfer systems, including TCP/IP, DICOM, HL7, etc.
· Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and healthcare guidelines.
· Ability to conduct research into medical imaging issues and products as required.
· Strong knowledge of applicable document retention and copyright laws.
· Familiarity with project management techniques and procedures.
· Skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff and patients, and the ability to work independently
· High understanding of confidentiality and data privacy laws, as well as federal legislation such as HIPAA.
· Understanding of organizations goals and objectives.
· Must have a customer service mindset.
This job involves prolonged sitting or standing, frequent bending, stooping, or stretching and may require lifting up to 50 pounds. Extensive PACS system use requires 20/20 correctable vision without color blindness and the ability to distinguish letters and symbols, along with correctable hearing, eye to hand coordination and manual dexterity.